July 7, 2011

Freedom & Fireworks

The 4th of July has always been a big deal around my house. Growing up [for 20+ years] my dad sold fireworks, so needless to say, we've seen them all. And honestly, they never get old. Typically we spend the afternoon / evening at Honey's house -- swimming, eating way too much, and putting on a fireworks show as soon as it's dark enough to see them light up the sky. However, since Mike & I have been together, we've split the 4th weekend between the lake and Honey's house. Right down the lake from his cove is a huge fireworks show that never disappoints. This year [since I'm home enjoyin' summer and all...] I "lake-hopped" and fit in an afternoon of hangin' out with my family at Honey's. (: It.was.glorious. [Sorry to rub in boys while you're out makin' your way to Maine!]

My weekend started with a trip to the Martin's lake house. Mel and I left after she got off of work on Friday. Once we got to the lake we were l a z y! We didn't even make it down to the water! [oops!] We spent the evening attempting crosswords, watching Fried Green Tomatoes, one of my all time favorite movie, and waiting an hour at The Carolina Pizza Co. for our pizza. Saturday we woke up to Mills, a friend of Mel's joining us for a day of lounging on the dock, soakin' up the sun! Mimi joined us after lunch and we took a "girls only" boat ride...with everyone and their mothers on the water along with us, it was quite an experience. We did make it back safely in time for dinner [crock-pot-bbq-ribs] & headed back out for an evening "sunset tour" & fireworks show. I wish I could describe the scene. We anchored the boat & sat while the sun faded into the sky. Boat lights started flickering like fire flies as over 100 of them dotted the water. Fireworks boomed for about 20 minutes. Chaos & mass congestion ensued as everyone headed home. Once home we heated up an apple pie & had dessert before bed (: Mel and I headed home on Sunday morning for church at Mitchell Road.

Commence "lake-hopping." I left Mel on Sunday and headed to Lake Greenwood to spend the next day or two with Melissa, Travis, & Mama & Daddy Gault. Again, we enjoyed lazing about in the water, tanning til our hearts [and skin] were satisfied, and eating way too much. [Should I be worried about this habit that's forming?!] That night we took another evening boat ride & enjoyed more fireworks over the water.

I sat on the boat, both nights wanting to bottle the memories. I thought of how thankful I am for my freedom, that I take for granted daily. I thought of how thankful I am for the time with family, friends, and friends that are family. I am one blessed girl.

We slept late Monday, had an enormous breakfast of eggs, bacon, blueberry pancakes [with fresh blueberries from Gentry Farms] and coffee. Yum. We lounged and lazed about until mid afternoon when we packed up so Melissa & Travis could get home to laundry [yuck!] and I could head to Honey's for on more night of celebrating! Haley, Carson, & Kendall were already there when I got there - swimming. Honey had burgers ready for the grill, chips on the bar, and ice cream in the churn. Over the next couple of hours the rest of my family trickled in...ready to swim and eat! Somehow these were the first burgers & chips I'd had all weekend - a 4th staple around here. We had a Red, White, & Blue cake that my dad made & homemade strawberry ice cream. It doesn't get any better than that! Except for how excited everyone was about the fireworks show. Over the years the "firework duty" has gotten passed down from my dad & uncles to my brother & cousins. It's a show in itself watching Carson & Logan light these things! I had a blast this weekend, the only thing missing was Mike!

blue velvet cake
blue velvet cake
it was disgusting! ):

me, mel & mills
Me, Mel, & Mills

Papa, Mimi & the pups
Papa, Mimi & the pups

watchin' the show
watchin' the show

fireworks
fireworks


fireworks
more fireworks!

boys lightin' the fireworks
boys will be boys...


fireworks
B E A U T I F U L

No comments:

Post a Comment