March 22, 2012

book reviews

Man, my reading came to a screeching halt in February for whatever reason, and has been slow to start again. I have managed to finish 2 books this month - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Bossy Pants by Tina Fey. I thoroughly enjoyed both of these books and can't wait to pick up Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

JK Rowling

Most of you have probably read or seen the Harry Potter movies, so I won't go into too much detail. However, if you're like me and are 100 years late jumping on this bandwagon -- go ahead and do it! It took me about half-way through the book to really start enjoying it. The history, and Harry's current life situation were a little boring and depressing. I'm hoping over the next 6 books to get more of Harry's history [which I'm sure I won't be disappointed] in a more in depth, entertaining fashion. You find out early on that Harry has been orphaned from a tragic incident and is dropped off on his muggle aunt and uncle's doorstep. These muggles have done their best to extinguish any wizardry from Harry's life, even to the point of never talking about his parents. But, on his 11th birthday, odd things start happening that the Dursley's [his aunt, uncle, and cousin] can no longer hide. Harry gets an invitation to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and things begin to change for him. Trust me, it's about time this poor kid gets a break! He is assigned to the Gryffindor House, begins to make friends, makes the Quidditch team as the youngest seeker ever, and "saves the day" in a big way. Trust me, if you've never read this book and want a quick, fun, easy read -- pick it up!


Tina Fey

Bossy Pants is our March book club book. It is hysterical. I usually have a really weird [or sometimes I say crappy] sense of humor...and this book made me laugh, a lot! I also don't watch SNL or 30 Rock, but I really enjoyed learning about both of these from her point of view. She basically takes you through her life, from her awkward girl / teenage years, to college, to her time improvising with the Second City in Chicago, to her time at SNL and now at 30 rock, to her life as a working mom. I loved her blunt straightforwardness and the obvious humor that's etched in every page. You'll have to excuse her language in some places, but I'd definitely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment