January 9, 2012

2012 Reading List

I love reading. One of my dream jobs is to be a book critic - to live in Costa Rica and sit on the beach all day while I read books for a living. Hey, a girl can dream. Anyway, like I said...I love to read. For the past 4 or 5 years I've set a reading goal [I think I've only reached it once, so here I am again]. Typically I'll read a book or a couple at a time and when I'm finished with those have no idea what I want to read next. So I decided to try something new this year: to come up with a list of books to read so I'm not wandering the aisles of our local Barnes and Noble [or surfing on the Kindle / Nook] for hours on end, picking up and putting back books that I'm not interested in, don't want to read again, or are honestly too expensive. My reading list is tabbed at the top of the blog. They are in no order and if you check it out, you'll see that I'm reading 3 books right now: Kisses from Katie, The School of Essential Ingredients, and In the Garden of Beasts.

To help keep me reading [things that I want to read and things that I may not ever pick up] I'm joining / starting a book club with some sweet friends who share my passion for reading. I'm really pumped about this and hope that it'll broaden my horizons in the reading world. Periodically I'll share reviews and give my opinion the books I'm reading [either with the club or on my own] and share whether I think it's worth reading or not. (:

First up:

Erik Larson

This book appealed to me because I'm enthralled by the WWII era. It was such simple time out of absolute necessity, but at the same time, uniquely complex. I'm loving that this book is nonfiction.

It follows the life of William E. Dodd, a college professor from Chicago, and an unlikely choice for the position of American Ambassador to New Germany in 1933. Dodd wasn't Roosevelt's first, second, or third pick for the job, but as time passes, he must pick someone. After discussing the offer with his wife [for a mere 2 hours], Dodd accepts it thinking it'll give him a chance to write the book he's been working on for many years. He and his family [wife, Mattie; daughter, Martha; son Bill] load up on the Washington, a ship bound for Europe. The family steps off the boat and into Germany in the midst of Hitler's reign coming to full power. Currently [where I am in the book] the family is getting used to life overseas. I won't give too many details in case you want to read it for yourself, but I am pleased with the amount of raw history that pours out of every page. Honestly, it's so much...I feel like I should be taking notes!

Next up:

Katie Davis

Another non-fiction. Katie is about my age and had given her life for the Kingdom. She visited Uganda during high school, fell in love with the people and the culture and knew that God was calling her back...not for a week, month, or summer long trip - but to live there and call it her home. She's started a child sponsor program to help orphaned children who stand no chance get an education, a feeding program that reaches out to the Karimojong people of Masese, and she's teaching the woman of that same village how to provide for their families in an honorable and sustainable way. Did I mention that she has 14 children? Not like 14 kids live with her on and off or she babysits them whenever - no, she has adopted 14 little girls. You cannot read this book and not be moved by the power of Jesus. I want so badly for me & Mikey to live with reckless abandon for our Savior as Katie does, whether it's here in Greenville or "to the ends of the earth" [Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15, Romans 10:14-15]. Jesus is moving and we are willing. One of my sweet friends, Anna is also reading this book - check out her blog and see what she has to say about it!


Finally:


Erica Bauermesiter

This book is so fun and such an easy read! It's about a chef who opens up her restaurant once a week to students for a cooking class. Each chapter is about a new student and it goes through their story while slipping back and forth between the present [the class] and the past [what brought them there]. You probably know by now that food is one of my biggest passions, so I'm soaking up the techniques and recipes that are mixed in within the chapters. I can't wait to try some of the recipes that are mentioned - some of them are totally out of my comfort zone, but they sound delicious...so I'm willing to sacrifice and give them a try. C'mon over, I'll fix dinner! (:


Here's a great wintery recipe for you from the book:

hot chocolate & coffee


Ingredients:
1 cup milk
5 curls orange rind
1/2 stick cinnamon
4 T Mexican chocolate
anise
1 cup coffee
whipping cream


Directions:
Put milk, orange rind, cinnamon and chocolate in a saucepan and warm through. Add a touch of anise. Add to coffee and top with whipping cream


1 comment: