January 19, 2012

The Hunger Games

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sucker for book sequels. It probably started my senior year at Clemson with the Twilight series. My sweet friend Whitney bought me Twilight for my birthday ... and I read all 4 of them by the end of the week. I even made late night Walmart runs to pick up the next book because I literally couldn't put them down. Who doesn't love a clean romance novel with vampires and werewolves? (: Hahaha More recently, my love for sequels was quenched by the Millennium Trilogy [which was actually to be a 10 book series, but the author died before they were finished - he actually died before the first 3 were published, so my dreams of the last 7 have been crushed]. I won't even lie - as sick and twisted as those books are I love them. I'll probably re-read them once I've whittled away at some of the books on my list. I've seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo twice [don't judge me]. And currently, I'm reading The Hunger Games. I finished the first one in the series last night and I can already tell that I'm going to be sad when they're over. I hate being sad when a book is over, really, I do...but it just happens. Anyway, as promised, here's my review of the book:

Suzanne Collins

The setting is Panem, or what used to be North America and follows 16 year-old Katniss Everdeen. The "Hunger Games" are games where kids ages 12-18 fight it out in a staged arena until only 1 victor remains. These games were created as a reminder that the 12 districts of Panem are ruled dominated by the Capitol. If your name is drawn for the Games, there is no escaping. Unless, someone steps up and volunteers to go in your stead. Katniss' sister, Prim's name is drawn and the drama begins. Katniss throws herself in Prim's place and is almost immediately swept off to begin preparation for the Games with only an hour to tell her mom, Prim and good friend Gale goodbye. From here, you enter the world of the Capitol and go through the training process with Katniss. Her background and the district she's from play a very prominent role in helping her in the Games. You also meet Peeta, the boy tribute from Katniss' district; there must be a boy and girl tribute from each district, resulting in 24 total. As the story unfolds you learn some interesting things about these two that could ultimately lead to their demise...or their salvation. I'll stop there and recommend that you run out to your nearest book store and scoop up a copy for yourself. Don't be surprised if you stay up late gobbling up the pages!  


I also finished The Treasure Principle last night...



Randy Alcorn


This is a book that our community group read together. We read it to help us discuss being courageously generous, one of the core principles at Grace. It was such a good reminder that I am just a manager of the things that God gives me - whether it's money, time, a car, food, etc. Too often I want to hold onto these things instead of giving them away. But, I know that true joy comes from giving. One of mine and Mike's "goals" this year is give more. We've been given a great chance to give some time and money to spend a few days with Grace at a missions training camp at the end of February. I'm excited to see what the Lord is going to do through this!

Here are the Key Principles:
1. God owns everything. I am his money manager.
2. My heart always goes where I put God's money.
3. Heaven, NOT earth is my home! [thank goodness!]
4. I should not live for the dot, but for the line.
5. Giving is the only antidote for materialism.
6. God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving.





2 comments:

  1. I would suggest any of John Green's novels. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of his books. I am currently reading The Fault in Our Stars and I have read all of his previous works (Looking For Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson [which he coauthored])

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll definitely look into those (: I'm ALWAYS looking for new stuff to read!

    ReplyDelete