May 17, 2012

mother's day & peach pie

This past Sunday was my very first Mother's Day! I know, technically I don't have any kiddos runnin' around yet, but there is one growin' inside of me & that has to count for something! I got sweet cards from friends and family and my precious Mikey gave me a massage at Urban Nirvana! He was super excited to give it to me [so much so that he asked all weekend if I wanted my gift early] and told me once I opened it that I'd better go ahead and schedule it right away. Sweet boy!

We celebrated mother's day at the Martins with a big ole Southern lunch. With Mike's help, I decided to bake a peach pie for dessert. I'd seen a man selling local peaches at a road-side stand within walking distance from our house so I scooped up a bag in all of my running around Saturday AM. I found a simple recipe online and tweaked it jus' a little (: I think once the peaches are a little bigger and a little riper we'll be eatin' this pie again! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • Pastry for double crust pie (9")
  • 5 cups sliced & peeled fresh peaches (we had to use 7 small peaches)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup Splenda 
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter [i didn't use this much]
  • milk [for brushing]
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400F. 
  • Line a 9" pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside. 
  • In a large bowl combine the peaches, lemon juice & extract. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg & salt. Add to peach mixture; toss gently to coat. Pour into crust; dot with butter. 
  • Roll out remaining pastry to fill top of pie; make decorative cutouts in pastry. Set cutouts aside. Place over top of pie. Brush with milk. Cover edges loosely with foil.
  • Bake @ 400F for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown & filling bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. 
*Yield 8 servings

Recipe adapted from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Golden-Peach-Pie

 DSC01913

DSC01914
                

DSC01917


No comments:

Post a Comment