We celebrated mother's day at the Martins with a big ole Southern lunch. With Mike's help, I decided to bake a peach pie for dessert. I'd seen a man selling local peaches at a road-side stand within walking distance from our house so I scooped up a bag in all of my running around Saturday AM. I found a simple recipe online and tweaked it jus' a little (: I think once the peaches are a little bigger and a little riper we'll be eatin' this pie again! Enjoy!
- Pastry for double crust pie (9")
- 5 cups sliced & peeled fresh peaches (we had to use 7 small peaches)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Splenda
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter [i didn't use this much]
- milk [for brushing]
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a 9" pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the peaches, lemon juice & extract. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg & salt. Add to peach mixture; toss gently to coat. Pour into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fill top of pie; make decorative cutouts in pastry. Set cutouts aside. Place over top of pie. Brush with milk. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake @ 400F for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown & filling bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
*Yield 8 servings