March 12, 2013

homemade peanut butter

homemade peanut butter

IMG_1312-001

If you know me at all you know of my undying love for all things peanut butter. While eating Whole30 I made the switch to natural, no sugar added peanut butter [& love it even more than the stuff with sugar!]. Last week I bought a can [12.5 oz] of peanuts at the store because they were on sale and I had a coupon so they were cheap! I had no intention of making peanut butter, but once I ran out I decided to give it a try! It's super easy and delicious! (: 

All you need is: 12.5 oz [1 can] of peanuts [more or less depending on how much peanut butter you want to make], a pinch of salt [only if your peanuts are unsalted] and a blender.

Put peanuts in the blender and turn on. I used the "mix" function for about 8-10 minutes. You may need to stop every 2-3 minutes to scrape the peanuts/peanut butter down the side. At first the mixture will be very dry and powder-y, just keep blending, because the mixture will turn creamy! *Depending on the freshness of your peanuts you may have to add a little oil [I added a splash of olive oil]. Once blended, add salt to taste. Store in an air tight container in your fridge. The oil may separate out [just like in the natural, no sugar added store bought peanut butter], if this happens, just stir with a spoon before eating! 

IMG_1317-001

3 comments:

  1. i couldn't get into the natural peanut butter the first few days of whole30 but i LOVE it now. way more than jif :) by the way, we are absolutely LOVING whole30. i mean loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! that makes me so happy! it's tough, especially at first, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete