Spaghetti squash with homemade spaghetti sauce
1 spaghetti squash (2-3#)
2 cans Muir Glen tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes (check ingredients and make sure there are no added fats / oils)
1 package ground turkey or beef
1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
- Mix tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, onion, and Italian seasoning in medium to large bowl.
- Poke spaghetti squash with a fork all over. Place on plate in microwave for 10-12 minutes (depending on how many pounds).
- While spaghetti squash is cooking in microwave, brown ground meat on the stove (once browned, I drained any extra liquid / fat, but you can leave it if you like).
- Once the spaghetti squash timer dings, take it out of the microwave and cut it in half. Scoop out the “guts” (seeds…just like a pumpkin) and place back in microwave for 4-5 minutes IF it’s not a dark, liquid-y yellow color (ie: if it’s still whitish/yellow).
- Add the sauce mixture to the browned meat. Leave on low while the spaghetti squash cools.
- Take the spaghetti squash out of the microwave and scrape down the sides. The product looks like spaghetti noodles.
Serve with sauce over top!
*Depending on the size of the spaghetti squash, Mike & I can eat all that it makes in one sitting. If it’s 3#s or more, we have enough leftover for one of us to eat it for lunch the next day.